Saturday 2 January 2010

Donkey Punch...

I'd been meaning to see this one for quite a while, and noticed it was on the telly in the run-up to Xmas. I didn't know what to expect really, but I wasn't especially intrigued. Nor should I have been, to be honest, as it all feels a bit generic as a thriller.

The film leading up to the titular scene is alright, albeit a bit sleazy (and not in the good grindhouse kind of way) - sex, drugs, alcohol, mouthy people being mouthy to one another - and then it becomes an increasingly unbelievable thriller on a boat. You don't care about any of the characters, for they are either complete bastards, complete tossers, or make such silly decisions that you can't respect them enough to be bothered following them.

To be honest, these are people I'd avoid like the plague in real life, so why would I want to watch them in a movie? It's a shame there's no redeeming features to these characters, as that would have made you care at least a bit about them.

It's very stylish as a film, and has a cool, sexy soundtrack ... but that's it unfortuantely.

No comments: