Sunday 9 November 2008

Madagascar...

I'd never seen this before, and I most certainly partake in CGI family fare from time-to-time (WALL.E was my #2 flick of 2008), so I figured I'll have a gander. Entertaining throughout, loads of movie references that kids would never get, but adults would - and superb little-seen side characters in the shape of two literate chimps and a quartet of Capone-like penguins.

I mean who doesn't want some of that? What else would you not want to do without? A colony of Lemurs lorded over by the most self-aggrandising King of the Lemurs ever? Seriously, what's not to like? Bounds along at a hell of a lick, the plot never putters out and it's got enough balls to have a crocodile (or was it an alligator?) snap up an intensely cute duckling!

Not just cheap CGI kiddy schmaltz, but rather an actually well written, witty and frequently guffaw-inducing slice of family entertainment that adults should feel free to enjoy on their own. As a kid I've craftily sneak a look at horror movies, now as an adult I indulge in animated flicks about loveable robots or talking zoo animals ... but I can't go for too long without seeing some blood getting gushed across the screen, muah-ha!

No comments: